Why We're Here
Customization Wish List
What We DoWe are a newly formed seed exchange. We are a democratically governed, non-profit organization. We hope to improve the listing process, but we encourage you to list a few varieties now, and to place requests, and to send us any questions or comments that might help us improve this site.
We are here to facilitate both online seed requests and requests sent through the mail. Members who accept requests through the mail are encouraged to list full addresses, which will then show up when you click the red dot on the member's profile map.
The Board of Directors is:
For guidelines, membership categories, and suggested prices, please see "How it works". Our bylaws are available as a pdf here.
This web platform (Sharetribe) is designed with commissions in mind. However, the Grassroots Seed Network organization was set up with dues in mind, before we started using the Sharetribe platform. If you create an account on this site now, we might contact you later about $15 dues.
Why We're HereThe mission of the Grassroots Seed Network is to democratically facilitate the exchange and preservation of open-pollinated seeds and seed-saving information.
There has been an alarming rate of consolidation in the seed industry, to a point where a very few international chemical corporations control a large percentage of the world’s commercial seed supply. This graphic shows one recent period of this consolidation in the US:
- offer a level of crop diversity beyond that found in most seed catalogs, just as most seed catalogs offer a level of crop diversity beyond that found in most supermarkets.
Randel Agrella, Treasurer
Grassroots Seed Network
241 Old East Road
Fort Fairfield, ME, 04742
Email: grassrootsseednetwork at gmail.com
You can also contact our website coordinator at sachairena at gmail.com
Founding a new organization has many challenges. We want to customize this platform as described at the bottom of this page, transfer data from our old website (grassrootsseednetwork.org), become a 501(c)3 nonprofit, build our membership base, and make a print edition available.
We’re asking for your donations to help in this work. But at least as important is emphasizing that this is YOUR organization. We need your financial help to get it off the ground, but it is your participation with your energy, dedication, creativity, and talent that will ultimately guarantee the success of the Network. Please help in any way you can. At present, financial donations will be used to cover current operating costs.
Thank you so much! Please make monetary donations by "buying" an item found under "Donations to GSN" in our listings, or by sending a check made out to the Grassroots Seed Network, to Maré Lemay at the address above.Many thanks for your interest and your support!
Customization Wish ListThe following are the features we are looking for that are not already offered as part of Sharetribe. We would appreciate feedback from listers and potential listers about which of these changes are most important and about any ways we might be able to create any of these effects within the current framework.
SOME CHANGES THAT ARE LIKELY TO BE RATHER SIMPLE:
- We'd like to be able to add text (possibly also small images) to the homepage, to show up on both the pre-login and post-login pages, above or in place of listings.
- We'd like it to be possible for administrators to add text between the listing fields on the listing form, so that for example, we could list the suggested prices below the "Price" field, and suggestions of what details to include below the "Detailed description" field.
- We'd like the "request" page to show the lister's location as well as text explaining how to send a request through the mail. Ideally, this would not show up for "online payment only" listings.
- Either as a mouseover on the "add seeds" button, or on the page it directs to, there should be both the option of requesting help listing seeds, and the option of going to the spreadsheet-type form described below, once that form exists.
- We would like to let listers add expiration dates to their listings, without requiring those expiration dates to be within 6 months of the posting date. A default expiration date of one year, with an option for easy renewal, would be ideal.
- We would like a shopping cart function. That is, we'd like to make it possible to request multiple items from a single vendor at one time, i.e. going through the checkout process only once. The ability to order multiple items from different vendors at once would also be useful.
- We'd like the beginnings of variety descriptions (and the entirety of short descriptions) to show up with each listing in the "list" format. And ideally also in the "grid" format for listings without photos. We'd like the state the lister is located in to show up, along with lister's name, in the list and grid formats.
- We would like each listing's categories (both/ all levels) to be shown on the its single-listing page.